7/30 9:30am fra-ath lh1278

greatalex

Lifetime Elite
Hello,

I know neg's on holidays but in case couch can help me out;

Flying Wednesday early morning from Frankfurt to Athens, I don't see anything particular on the map but I know weather hasn't be particularly good lately along the flight path, (windy/stormy).

thanks a lot!

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
Poor coach, he's been called a couch twice this week!

I have some time so I'll chime in. I think it's ok. There isn't much jet stream activity in the area (it's just west of you), but I'm not sure how much is enough in terms of jet stream distance. Our coverage of Europe isn't terrific.

There is also a lot of weather in the area.

So, what does this mean? It means I'm not quite sure, but I think it should probably be ok, but maybe a bit bumpier than the smooth flights we like to see around here?

Hello,

I know neg's on holidays but in case couch can help me out;

Flying Wednesday early morning from Frankfurt to Athens, I don't see anything particular on the map but I know weather hasn't be particularly good lately along the flight path, (windy/stormy).

thanks a lot!

greatalex

Lifetime Elite
Sorry for coach !..

Yes, I also saw the weather, that worries me a bit. I hope the pilot chooses to avoid the weather which is a bit west of the normal flight path but as you said dont know if the distance is enough

Poor coach, he's been called a couch twice this week!

I have some time so I'll chime in. I think it's ok. There isn't much jet stream activity in the area (it's just west of you), but I'm not sure how much is enough in terms of jet stream distance. Our coverage of Europe isn't terrific.

There is also a lot of weather in the area.

So, what does this mean? It means I'm not quite sure, but I think it should probably be ok, but maybe a bit bumpier than the smooth flights we like to see around here?

Last edited:

greatalex

Lifetime Elite
Hi again ,

It was an interesting flight as I had studied the weather and the flight course very carefully, so I knew what to expect.

While boarding, I met a flight attendant who was returning back home and he was coming from NYC. He indeed told me that just the night before there were flights cancelled because of the weather but that the prognosis for next morning changed rapidly towards the better.

Which was the case. There were thick clouds everywhere, but from Frankfurt till a bit before the alps we had zero or light turbulence.

Well, of course as you can imagine the situation over the Alps was different. I don't know if this qualifies as moderate, it wasn't comfy, but we were prepared (seat belt sign) and well.. it was okish ..the flight attendants were seated.

When the rough part was over, the pilot said we had some bumps, nothing to worry about, and we changed to a higher altitude to avoid em. We went off the alps, it was still light for some time (weather over the Balkans), but as soon as we approached lovely Greece , the sun was shining, clear air... The flight attendant (off duty) was sleeping through the whole flight...

The interesting part was reviewing our actual flight path. I could tell from the flight already that the pilot turned twice more towards the east, and indeed that was the case. Makes sense because the low pressure storms were under the normal flight path.

I was content to know the pilot adjusted his flight for that reason. That's why I flew Lufthansa.

Still, for me the hardest part is the time leading to the flight... Takes me a day to recover from the missing sleep. And it's always a big problem cause I can't see my folks as often as I should.

In any case, you've been quite some help.