Landing in windy conditions

greatalex

Lifetime Elite
Hello,

I am flying to Berlin next days and I see there are ground winds of 10mph with gusts of 30mph.
How bad is the approach gonna be?

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
Well, as you know landing is a small part of the trip, it's also the least favorite part for a lot of people. I don't think that sounds too bad honestly, and if it's a few days off, forecasts aren't too accurate more than 24 hours out.

So, hopefully nothing to worry about!

greatalex

Lifetime Elite
Well, as you know landing is a small part of the trip, it's also the least favorite part for a lot of people. I don't think that sounds too bad honestly, and if it's a few days off, forecasts aren't too accurate more than 24 hours out.

So, hopefully nothing to worry about!

:)

There's this weather system moving west from England towards Germany.
I am flying in on Sunday early morning. The predictions show low winds on Sunday morning (weirdly even though its windy on Saturday night and very windy from Sunday afternoon)

Could you help me interpret this https://www.turbulenceforecast.com/250mb-europe.php?hour=36 and this one over here: https://www.turbulenceforecast.com/europe-polar-00.php ?
They look pretty ugly so I'm considering moving my flight.

(I guess we don't have the exact predictions for Sunday yet..)

My flight's A820 at 08:40 from ATH (athens) to TXL (Berlin).

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
Hi. I never look at the first one for forecasts, although it's pretty colorful. That's just to give more information to people who like a super technical view.

The second one appears to be improving, so it may not be too bad by Sunday morning, but it's just too early to tell yet. Let me take a look in the morning (US Eastern) and let's see what develops tonight.

greatalex

Lifetime Elite
The second one appears to be improving, so it may not be too bad by Sunday morning, .

What's the long arrow pointing east? Is that a jet stream? Does this mean it will impact our speed or will generate CAT? Ι see its on the commercial flight levels (34000)

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
The green arrow is indeed a jet stream. By itself it means perhaps lightly bumpy. Yellow dashed regions, usually near and over the jet streams indicated either moderate or moderate severe. Moderate has a ^ symbol, moderate severe has two or a stacked one.

It looks like the jet is moving more to the north. I'm guessing it may not be too bad by flight time, update later today.

greatalex

Lifetime Elite
Ah yes indeed, looks like it goes north east around flight time. Lucky there. We'll have to see. Does FL340 means ideally someone would fly above 34K feet or below it? (depending)

tb_neg

Administrator
Staff member
Hi. It looks good, just lightly bumpy for the last part. That worked out nicely!

greatalex

Lifetime Elite
It was generally OK, some light here and there (for example when crossing the cloud barrier in Berlin - overcast). I was lucky as today the weather conditions are much worse in Europe.
Also when flying over Greece because of the ground morphology (islands - mountains) there's always a bit of light..